Thursday, October 8, 2009

Parades... By Isabel





Today we saw another one of Peru's parades... there were lots of masks, scary gorilla costumes, and ridiculously heavy looking floats of saints. I think todays festivities were dedicated to St. Rosario. In addition to all that, there were some beautiful dances, involving swirly skirts and fancy head dresses.Today I learned an important lesson; DO NOT take pictures of men with strange masks unless you want to dance with them!Of course, I was the lucky one.Among the dancers we could see 5-8 year olds , swaying to the sound of trumpets in glittery costumes, dragging their little siblings along with them. The costumes used in these parades are not little kids dressed as lobsters,(as we have in Maine), instead they are bejeweled works of art, swirling pieces of color, dancing along the streets of Cuzco. I may sound like I'm making this up but I'm not, just look at this video: Watching that close up is a memory I'll never forget. Even Sophia was amazed at that!!!! I have a feeling that when we get home, the whole war veteran troupe in full costume- including guns- at the Fourth of July parade is going to seem pretty boring from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Isabel, when you come home you need to lead a movement to have more parades in Bath. Seriously, we need to liven things up around here and you and Sophia will be the experts.

    ReplyDelete