Saturday, October 3, 2009

Yeah!

What a lovely day. The sun was shining, the shower performed well for a change, and Sophia was in her first-ever school production.

There she is now putting the "O" in Roy G. Biv.

There was a quite a line to get in the door to see the show.
And some of the line-cutting shenanigans were amazing to witness. The show was all about the environmental crises facing our world, and what we can do to help. It was surprisingly well done. The musicians accompanying the performers happened to be the same band I sat in with last weekend! I'll have to go back to Le Nomade and tell them they were backing up my daughter. Below are some of the images I caught of the colorful, creative show.


After the show we went out for lunch at a restaurant called Los Balcones. You can see how it got its name from the image below. We all had the prix-fixe lunch which began with a favorite: choclo completo. Big kernel corn boiled and served with a slab of fresh sheep's cheese. Krista and I both had trout caught straight out of one of the local rivers and we all enjoyed a glass of fresh lemonade. All this for 10 soles a piece, or $3.50 with the tip.

Later I went grocery shopping with the girls and finally paid a fair price for the cab ride in both directions. I must be getting closer to "local" status. We branched out and bought some beef to make some comfort food tomorrow night, Beef Stew.

In the mean time I am preparing for my first mountaineering trip in some time. I fly on Monday to Lima, and then jump an 8 hour bus to the town of Huaraz. I am meeting a friend who will be guiding me and another client on attempts of Urus and Toqllayraju in the Cordillera Blanca. I am both nervous and really excited. I'll be sure to tell you more as the story unfolds.

Against my predictions, we are indeed beginning to assimilate here in Cusco. I am so proud of Isabel and Sophia as they take this amazing and diverse experience in stride. The memories we are creating here in Peru will remain with us for the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment